October 25, 2012
Haunted Week: Bats in Your Book Pages
Today's post is Bats in Your Book Pages! (Cue evil laughter/scary music.) Now, it's all about...What drives you batty in books? What five things can you absolutely not stand in books...so. (Don't name any names, folks.) :)
1. Love Squares. Yes, love squares. You thought love triangles were bad enough, didn't you? Well, I absolutely hate love squares, with a passion. Because, normal people don't fall in love with 3/4/5 people at once, now do they? It's ten times worse that people seem to like it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a love triangle--as long as it adds to the story--but more than two guys is just basically...well. Let's not go there.
2. An ugly cover. I know, I know, it has nothing to do with my reading experience at all. But I'm just turned off by them, and I can't help it! I've read some good books with ugly covers, don't get me wrong, but I'm gonna give the book more of a chance to win me over if the cover is pretty. *cover whore, reporting for duty*
3. Flat characters. When characters are flat, as you've heard me go on and on about, I'm gonna be the one to rant for hours about their flatness. They have no personal interests. They were boring. I don't know, I just can't stand them.
4. Cliche characters. I hate it when a character is like so many characters before it! I mean, how many books are their about vampires who fall hopelessly in love? (You're getting my point, right?) Or how many are their about the popular guy/girl who falls for the un-popular guy/girl, they import them into their group, and the the popular character gets hopelessly ill...grrr.
5. When a book is one-kazillion pages of nothing happening. I mean, really? I'm bored, ya'll. I do not have a very long attention span, and if I'm bored, chances are that I'm not going to finish the book at all...hence our 'Ghosts of Books Half Read' feature.
So, do you have anything to add? Something that really makes you unhappy when you read about it? Do you agree with me?